Anyone using 300AAC Blackout this deer season?

Discussion in 'Survival & Sustenance Living Forum' started by Deadwing, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Deadwing

Deadwing Active Member

This will be my first year using our 8.5" 300BO Noveske SBR + SilencerCo Saker 762 suppressor combo in a hunting application. I'll be using the barnes 110gr vor-tx ammo. Just curious if anyone else is using 300 for hunting? I've always used .308 win to great success growing up, but honestly if I can get away with the 300BO id much rather use it, as even with the can it's about 14" shorter and easily 2.5lbs lighter lol..

Obligatory gun p0rn.
    [​IMG]

The 300 is SO small when you compare it to the full-size savage 308 bolt gun

[​IMG]

2. Trapper

Trapper Active Member

I have a YMH in 300aac suppressed. I love shooting it, very accurate. I installed an adjustable JP silent captured spring buffer. I have no feeding issues now when switching between sonic and subsonic ammo. I intend to use it to hunt this year. I'll be shooting Hornady 135 gr FTX. Last year my hunting buddy used his Rock River with 125 gr to take his buck.

Deadwing likes this.
  3. Deadwing

Deadwing Active Member

What buffer/spring combo did you have installed before the JP? I run a H2.5 pretty much (spike's t1) and have had zero issues so far switching back and forth from subs to supers, suppressed, unsurpressed etc. The only thing I was really considered about for hunting was the fact I was using SUCH a short barrel. I don't want to make an unethical kill

4. Trapper

Trapper Active Member

I was using a standard buffer and spring, wouldn't feed subsonic rounds. As far as hunting, i mine has a 16" barrel. Not sure how that would be an unethical kill.

Deadwing likes this.
  5. Deadwing

Deadwing Active Member

Sorry I was a little tipsy when I wrote that lol... I meant for me, I DIDN'T want to be unethical going from a 16" barrel like yours down to a 8.5" barrel like mine.. Didn't know if anyone here had experience with 300BO going to such a short barrel.

As far as subs not feeding, thats weird man. Dunno maybe an adjustable gas block is in your future when you go back and forth between types of ammo

6. Trapper

Trapper Active Member

My partner had the same feeding issues. He also installed the same buffer I did. Once set, you don't have to adjust to switch rounds. Like it better than an adjustable gas block. If I had an 8.5 barrel. I would probably still hunt and feel comfortable.. After all, you can hunt with handguns.

Deadwing likes this.
  7. Trapper

Trapper Active Member

Think Thmpson Contenders. Handguns in rifle caliber and lots of individuals hunt with them.

Got-R-Did and Deadwing like this.
  8. Deadwing

Deadwing Active Member

good point

i figured it would be like a 30-30. I've taken plenty of deer with that. I will have to check out that jp silent spring tho

9. Deadwing

Deadwing Active Member

making sure the zero is correct this afternoon at 100 yards. 1/2 size torso/head steel target. 110gr supers

[​IMG]

10. Trapper

Trapper Active Member

Ok so how did you do.

Deadwing likes this.
  11. Got-R-Did

Got-R-Did Well-Known Member

I have taken a few Deer with my T/C Contender in .30-30 Win., and Super 14 in 7TC/U.
    image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    Got-R-Did.

plumber_bob likes this.
  12. Deadwing

Deadwing Active Member

[​IMG]

shot this from the seated position in my stand at one of my smaller steel targets. Its really tiny like 8" wide and 10" high with 1" center steel ringer. 80 yards 5/6 shots with 110gr tx bullets hit within an inch or slightly more from aiming point (center flapper of steel), one round sailed high over his right shoulder. I reshot from the prone at "paper" at 75 and got this..

[​IMG]
    I'm gonna put it away until the 12th lol... just wish the DOT was brighter HOLY SHIT trijicon. Unacceptable for a 500$ RDS from a reputable brand. I literally lose it completely in almost any sunlight. It's weak sauce. I've have primary arms micro dot clones be brighter... seriously trij SMDH. Other than that little hiccup i love this little build lol... we got the can scorching hot. Put maybe 50 subsonic SICO "harvester" 220gr rounds and maybe 20-25 TSX bullets, the ones ill be using for whitetail in under 150 yards role..The subs were SUPER quiet. I shot a lot from the back of the truck with my wife and young son inside the vehicle with windows down. They said it sounded like a small pop gun with the subs, and maybe a firework with the supers. Not bad for a 8.5" SBR at a few feet away with no ear pro. Certainly better then my 9lb bolt action i recently sold

Cant let you have all the fun GRD.. heres my 2013 11pt buck
    [​IMG]

I got a nice 8 pt in 2015. Nothing but a small yearling in 2014 when my son Hunter Colt was born..Yes thats right, his name is Hunter and he was born on opening day November 12 lol. He doesn't stand a chance :)

Last edited: Oct 31, 2016
    plumber_bob and Got-R-Did like this.
  13. plumber_bob

plumber_bob Well-Known Member

Worst mistake I think I ever made was selling my 16" Encore pistol in .30-06.
    One helluva pistol!!!

Deadwing likes this.
  14. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Contemplating this caliber w/16" barrel for hunting next year, it will give me time to get to know it.

Deadwing said "just wish the DOT was brighter HOLY SHIT trijicon. Unacceptable for a 500$ RDS from a reputable brand. I literally lose it completely in almost any sunlight."
    I have a Vortex Strikefire with a red & a green dot, the red dot is fine for low light but the green dot shines bright when the sun is out.

Deadwing likes this.
  15. Deadwing

Deadwing Active Member

Supposedly I have a vortex RDS I've traded for thats on its way... So I hope it's a little bit brighter then the trij.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  16. Caveman Jim

Caveman Jim Well-Known Member

Awesome. I'll never own just a red dot optic just for this reason.;):atya:

Deadwing likes this.