Ccdw

Discussion in 'Carry Issues & Personal Protection' started by Spock273, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Spock273

Spock273 New Member

Ok i have my neighbor who is an upstanding amd responsible person who ask me aboute getting his ccdw because i am already one and his question was that he and his wife had some problems about 15 yrs ago and she filed false domestic charges against him and he spent like 3 months in jail over it but they got back together long story short he says 10 yrs ago all it was on his record now it is not and he bought a gun 3 months ago with no problem now he wants to take a ccdw class but is afraid it will all show up when he applies through Frankfort for it but i say it won't if he passed the federal back ground check.
    Just looking for some opinions to help him feel at ease.

2. King31

King31 New Member

as stated on KSP.org:

NOTE - ONLY SOME OF THE OFFENSES LISTED ABOVE HAVE A THREE-YEAR LIMITATION. OTHER OFFENSES, SUCH AS FELONIES AND MISDEMEANOR CRIMES OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, DO NOT HAVE A TIME LIMIT. IN OTHER WORDS, IF YOU HAVE BEEN CONVICTED OF A FELONY OR MISDEMEANOR CRIME OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE, YOU ARE INELIGIBLE FOR A CCDW LICENSE AND ARE PROHIBITED FROM POSSESSING A FIREARM UNDER FEDERAL LAW, NO MATTER HOW LONG AGO YOU WERE CONVICTED.

If he was convicted I don't believe he can get a CCDW permit. IMO. If charges were dropped the would likely go off his record and that is why he was able to purchase a gun assuming it was from a LGS doing a background check.

3. Spock273

Spock273 New Member

There is nothing about it on his background check from frankfort but one speeding ticket.
    So that is why he is confused

4. Dustin

Dustin Well-Known Member

Might want to check with a Lawyer. I have one that goes gun rights in Louisville.

5. mlh40324

mlh40324 Active Member

Did he petition to have the charge dropped and record purged? Why doesn't he just apply, then he'll know. If he cleared NICS you would think he should good. Below is the link for requirements and it is pretty straight forward. If he has domestic violence charges then he is not eligible and shouldn't be allowed to own a weapon.
    http://kentuckystatepolice.org/ccdw/qualifications.html

6. King31

King31 New Member

If he has been CONVICTED of a felony or misdemeanor of domestic violence he cannot get a CCDW permit. It seems like the only way for him to properly purchase a firearm would mean that the charges were dropped and he was not convicted.

7. Spock273

Spock273 New Member

8. Spock273

Spock273 New Member

I agree
    But by what i am seeing from his background check and him just purchased a gun and ncis coming back for that clear it seems to me that he would pass the background check for ccdw

9. Murgatroy

Murgatroy Member

It would be worthwhile to check with the county in question to make sure the charges were dropped. It is a chunk of change ($50 to the KSP plus the course cost) to eat to discover that a clerk somewhere didn't file the proper form fifteen years ago on a dropped charge.

Myself I have a colored past, nothing serious of course. Whether due to my past or someone with a similar name, I have received half of my last ten transactions on the Brady Delay. My background is clean, however colorful. None of the stipulations on the NICS, 4473 or the CCDW apply to me, even though I received multiple delays. Applying for and receiving my CCDW has resolved that issue.

And completely unrelated to my helpful advice, I can't help but wonder whenever someone inquires about a 'neighbor' or a 'friend' if they are truly just afraid of saying 'Hey, I did some stupid shit...'

10. Spock273

Spock273 New Member