Chinese SKS imported by Interstate Arms

Discussion in 'Rifles & Shotguns' started by b0pric01, Apr 15, 2010.

1. b0pric01

b0pric01 Active Member

I just got an SKS that is Chinese and imported by Interstate Arms Corporation out of Billerica, MA (says on the receiver). I was looking up serial numbers and supposedly it's dated at 1966? It has the 26 in a triangle on the receiver and the serial number is under 10,500,000. All the serial numbers match for the parts, including the attached magazine and the rifle looks like it hasn't seen much use.

Are these pretty good rifles? I half way want to keep it and half way want to get rid of it. It came with a synthetic folding stock but I put the original stock back on because I thought it looked better. I'm mostly wanting more information on it.

Here is a pic:
    [​IMG]

2. wash

wash New Member

I can't tell you much about the date, but I have a Chinese SKS and they function 100% of the time and are as accurate as the Russian or Yugo versions.

3. josh

josh New Member

Interstate Arms is Norinco. I am sure you have heard of Norinco. Norinco has gone by many names. Back in the day they got in trouble for an illigal full auto import deal or something like "operation Dragon fire" is what they called it where the US goverment set up a sting and busted them. Im not sure by which names they have gone by over the years. but the Interstate Arms name is currently importing Old reproductions of war shotguns. Like trench guns and other reproduction guns from 1800's and early 1900's.

With that said Norinco is a HUGE company and makes cars, electronics, homes, ect, ect... so "Interstate Arms" could just be a factory or importer owned by Norinco. Who knows, those Chinese people be crazy! You can actually see some of their guns NEW at Buds in lexington.

4. b0pric01

b0pric01 Active Member

Ok thanks guys. I was just looking around and it seemed every other norinco sks was stamped saying so on the receiver. Can't wait to try this one out.

5. josh

josh New Member

Yes the SKS's that are stamped "Norinco" where produced when they went by the name... if they had a name change over the years they would be stamped the current name at the time... in your case "interstate Arms"

Usually if a firearm comes out of China someone, somewhere at some time affiliated with Norinco had their hads on it.

Anyways the gun isnt less reliable because of this... I have had an Interstate Arms and few actually Nornico stamped SKS's over the years. You'll like it.

6. b0pric01

b0pric01 Active Member

Do you think the dating is off? I looked up Chinese 'triangle 26' serial numbers and according to their chart mine is dated at 1966. Just seems weird that it wasn't stamped Norinco but was that old, unless I am misunderstanding. Not that it really matters, I just like learning the history and think it's a cool rifle, regardless of how common they are.

7. josh

josh New Member

I am not an SKS expert by any means.... If the triangle with a number in it means the same as AK47's that is the facotry... In that case factory 26.

Date could be right... I had a 1967 production once

8. Wyldman

Wyldman Gold Member

The Norinco SKS rifles are among the best available. Very reliable, reasonably accurate, and rock solid, as issued, though I would get rid of that scope mount and put the regular cover back on it. If you must take out the internal 10 rd magazine, at least keep it as it is numbers matching. I have used the Tapco 20 rd magazines in the one I got for my son and they usually work pretty well, though they aren't really intended to be replaceable like an AK mag is. The metal 30+ rd "duck bill" mags suck out load and aren't worth a dime or the powder to blow them up.

Using soft point hunting ammo, my son has taken several deer with his, and it did a right smart job on them at reasonable 30-30 ranges (<150 yds).

An SKS is not an AK and there is no reason to try and make it into one. They work great just as they are.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2010
  9. b0pric01

b0pric01 Active Member

Yeah I didn't want to try and turn it into an ak, I had an ak for that lol. I think I'm going to put the 10 round magazine back in but it came with the scope mount so I don't have the original cover.

10. josh

josh New Member

A original cover can be had for $10 at most places. the #'s of that particular peice wont match the rest of the gun but then again... neither does the one thats on there.

Did you happen to sell all the extra parts of the MAK90?

11. camoxjeep

camoxjeep New Member

I have a chinese sks but different importer. Mine shoots great but I ended up putting a Tapco stock on mine and detachable mag. I'm more into function that looks but I like the new look over the old so thats a plus for me.

12. hamptonJimmy Jet

hamptonJimmy Jet New Member

------------------------
    Interstate Arms IS NOT NORINCO! In the 80's and 90's they were distributors for tons of Norinco produced arms and ammo. These items were initially purchased through CHINA SPORTS, (until Geo. H. W. Bush got a little gun-bannish) and then contracted with Norinco to make the Win. M/97 and M/87 reproduction shotguns.

13. Murgatroy

Murgatroy Member

You joined a forum just to bump a seven year old thread and tell someone that they were wrong?

Priorities.

14. Got-R-Did

Got-R-Did Well-Known Member

Welcome HamptonJimmyJet.
    Got-R-Did.