cmp 1911

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by dannyr3_8, Nov 24, 2017.

1. dannyr3_8

dannyr3_8 Well-Known Member

2. Rollerball

Rollerball Member

Well.....it's about time! Glad they are not being melted into scrap.

dannyr3_8, Got-R-Did and HPD855 like this.
  3. plumber_bob

plumber_bob Well-Known Member

4. Got-R-Did

Got-R-Did Well-Known Member

At the rate of 8-10K per year in sales, that gives one plenty of time to save up for one of these treasures. There are currently 100K ready for transfer and no information has been shared as to what condition, or state of refurbishment they may be in. I'm pretty sure all the Competition guns and general issue pistols from my generation of MPs (late 70s-early 80s) and all the MTU guns will be among them. My Hardball Competition gun was a hybrid with a Colt receiver and Remington-Rand slide; my Bullseye Gun (tuned for 185 gr SWC Match ammo) was all Remington-Rand. My Duty gun varied each day as I exchanged my chit for a pistol when reporting for duty.
    There are a few variants that are quite rare, and as such, will likely be placed in CMP's auction pages. Most, I believe, will be graded similarly like the M1 Garands and Carbines in a rating system of Rack Grade, Field Grade, Service Grade, etc.
    No, I don't expect them to be "cheap", but as stated before, I'm sure glad Slick Willy's Cpt. Crunch didn't reduce them all to guardrail material.
    I will be making the trip ( my 6th ) to Anniston to pick mine out if/when the announcement is posted. Can take up to 3 riders with me if anyone is interested.
    Got-R-Did.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    Rollerball and dannyr3_8 like this.
  5. plumber_bob

plumber_bob Well-Known Member

Once at date is announced I'll check my calendar and see how it's gonna work.
    But I do have to put a limit on what I can go for one. It will prolly be up in that range for a good one tho.

Got-R-Did and dannyr3_8 like this.
  6. Rollerball

Rollerball Member

I'm guessing the CMP doesn't care much about market values...that they can just kinda ask what they want and you can choose to either buy or not. But I would MUCH rather have an old 1911 with some mismatched parts and some history than a new generic one. But that's me...to each his own.

I think they should price the cheapest ones at around $400, mid at $500-$550 and nice at $650+ Rare stuff can fetch $800-$1000 or whatever it goes for at auction.

Probably about the time I am due to kick the bucket, they will be releasing the M9's the same way! Hahahaha

dannyr3_8 likes this.
  7. Got-R-Did

The provenance of these guns is beyond question, likely most of these surviving pistols have spilled the blood of enemy combatants.
    I think your estimates are about half what the going rate for virtually any WWII era or earlier M1911 or A1.
    Typically the starting bid on a Union Switch & Signal is $2K+; can't imagine what a Singer brings today, and as I said earlier, these specimens will wind up on the CMP Auction page.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/7434807/kansas-city-handguns-for-sale--1911-union-switch-and-signal

https://www.rockislandauction.com/detail/72/784/us-remingtonrand-1911a1-pistol-with-holster

Got-R-Did.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2017
    dannyr3_8 likes this.
  8. Got-R-Did

9. Got-R-Did

10. Rollerball

Rollerball Member

Holy cr_pola! That's cool...

My prices were hopes of what I think they should do....I agree they will probably price them much higher

Got-R-Did likes this.
  11. Got-R-Did

A pretty decent Service Grade M1 Garand will set you back about $800+/- directly from the CMP. You can opt for a Special Grade built up to essentially a new rifle as it might have come from an Arsenal rebuild program for $1,100.
    That said, most of the time (when I used to haunt gun shows near and far) when I encountered a Garand on the tables, their rifles typically began at $1K and are woefully in disrepair or so worn that they may not even function.
    What I have taken so long to say is simply this; you will get the best deal on this piece of history directly from the CMP no matter if you choose a rifle or pistol. Likewise, you will be aiding the CMP in their mission to promote Rifle & Pistol Marksmanship for generations to come.
    THAT, to me, is worth the price of admission!
    Got-R-Did.

P.S.
    Yes, I hope the M9s aren't far behind.
    :)

dannyr3_8 and plumber_bob like this.
  12. Got-R-Did

dannyr3_8 likes this.
  13. dannyr3_8

dannyr3_8 Well-Known Member

half a million for a gun man i love guns but i cant see that

plumber_bob likes this.