IN & KY sales or transfers

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by adventures47129, Mar 9, 2011.

1. adventures47129

adventures47129 New Member

I was looking through the sales section and when it came up that the seller was from IN everyone ran away. My question is why? I bought a pistol in KY and had it delivered and transferred to me here in the Jeff area at Reloaders Supply. Can't everyone do the same coming this way and can't you use a shop in KY to transfer it from IN? If I am missing the boat here... I am sorry.

Can you tell me about problems you have had with dealing across the river either way?

2. kymarkh

kymarkh New Member

If you are like me and you prefer to do face-to-face transactions with qualified individuals who live in the same state and can legally possess and sell firearms then the added expense of shipping and FFL fees will sour some deals.

I have bought and sold using your method in the past though.

3. mtchbrian

mtchbrian Well-Known Member

some people are lazy and don't want to fool with transfers. they'd rather do a FTF transaction than go thru the hassle of using an FFL dealer and shipping. I am with you, its not that hard to ship it to a dealer and go thru the proper channels.

4. IronSights

IronSights New Member

FTF sales among individuals are against the law(felony) when state lines are crossed. It has to go to FFL between transfers. FTF in KY among residents or FTF in Indiana among residents is perfectly legal. yeah its stupid but it is what it is.

5. mtchbrian

mtchbrian Well-Known Member

i say if an out of stater wants to do that then come to KY pay for the firearm, shipping and what ever fees it takes to send it to IN/KY. If they wanna pay the extra cool, if not cool. not gonna hurt my feelings

6. kymarkh

kymarkh New Member

I'm much more likely to sell to an out-of-stater and have them pay shipping fees than I am to buy out of state myself. If they wanna pay I'll ship it to them.

There are plenty of nice firearms to buy right here in the great state of Kentucky - so why buy anywhere else?

7. Reverend Dreed

Reverend Dreed Well-Known Member Staff Member

i find that once you pay shipping and transfer fees the price just aint right anymore. that is why i dont buy or sell across state lines except for c&r firearms or antique firearms.

8. adventures47129

Hmmm... I would think that most would be willing to drive across the river to make a sale in most cases. I know I only paid about $10 or $15 for a transfer. But that being what it is... if you own a weapon in KY and move to IN then that is cool and you do not have to transfer anything... right?

9. GARANDGUY

GARANDGUY New Member

there is no grey area. if a seller knowingly sells a handgun to an out of state resident if they do not use a FFL in the purchasers home state(meaning where his DL is issuedfrom) then it is ilegal and both parties involved WILL go to jail period there is no "what if" when the BATFE is concerned period!

10. adventures47129

I did not mean that as a "what if". I understood the use of a FFL. You can cross the river and deliver a weapon to the FFL and the new owner can meet ya there to sell.

But my second question was... if you own guns in KY and move to IN, you do not have to run that through a FFL when you move... right?

I am not looking to get away with anything. I know that 111 Gun Shop (Louisville) will deliver to Reloaders Supply (Jeffersonville) to do the FFL. They do this as a convenience for the IN residents. I thank that is really nice of them. They do this at no extra charge. Reloaders does charge a very small fee.

11. GARANDGUY

GARANDGUY New Member

if ya move then no FFL is needed as long as the buyer and seller are in the same state.

12. Loading

Loading Member

Here's the strange part.
    You can buy a long gun from a FFL in another state. And drive it home.
    Pistols must be shipped to the buyers states FFL

I know a few years back the atf did a sting with people on the IN KY border.

If it's close enough to drive I would drive to a FFL to do the transfer. I would ask for gas money or you pay your FFL fees.
    Why, added security. Do any of us really know if TDorH can have a gun >?<
    Not hard to make a fake ID or permit ( I don't know how so don't pm me to death)

I deleted my account on another forum because guy a posted in open forums i'll meet you at the state line and toss cash across and you toss the pistol back. That way we don't cross the line. And I am pretty sure they did it because the site was shut down not 2 months later.

If you like guns be smart.

Instate sales even if you moved can be FTF so long as you a ??DL for the state of the sale.

13. wash

wash New Member

Regarding earlier posts, I don't think wanting to buy face to face from a same state resident is "being lazy"

Just being smart. Yes, FFL's can make deals happen, and should for across state line deals. But to imply that wanting to buy without FFL involvement, legally/same state buyer/seller is not really an accurate assumption.

If JoeT has an SKS in Ky for $250, and JoeP has one in In for $250, I'm buying off of JoeT, NO FFL fee, no shipping, ect....

Please always be aware of the laws and follow them. That's the KFA way!

14. Armor-Hyde

Armor-Hyde Active Member

For non-FFL's within the same state (or at leasy KY), this is where the CCDW comes in handy. If the buyer has a CURRENT CCDW, then it's reasonably safe to assume that he is not a felon! This is a simple process which protects both parties!

It's good enough in KY for the BATFE not to require FFLs to perform a NICs check so it should put anyone else at ease!

15. J.Netto

J.Netto New Member

16. gew98

gew98 Banned

Ahh hoochie koo !.

17. doug

doug Active Member

good info. thanks guys!

18. Spazzmodicus

Spazzmodicus New Member

Have the laws changed on this recently? There is a Kentucky resident interested in a Sig 239 I'm selling. I told him we would need to deal FFL to FFL. He then told me his FFL told him it was legal for the two of us to FTF, no problem. I thought he was trying to pull a fast one.

I then called my FFL and asked him about it. He said that it is in fact perfectly legal for an Indiana/Kentucky FTF as long as I or the other guy do not hold an FFL license. Neither of us do. What gives on this? Are the two FFL's that's informing us incorrect or have the laws changed recently?

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  19. guncrank1

guncrank1 Well-Known Member

Yes the law changed in 1968.....
    Look it is real simple
    You can only do a FTF with residents of same state.
    And that means exactly that. There is no exemption with long guns vs handguns.
    IT IS ALL GUNS!
    If you a iN resident want to sell your SiG P226 to a KY resident, then the gun must be transfered to a KY FFL .
    If you want to buy a 10/22 from a KY resident it must be transfered to a IN FFL.
    FFL to FFL only depends on the recieving FFL it is not required by law.

I don't know what FFL said that but they is wrong.

20. Spazzmodicus

Spazzmodicus New Member

I just talked to a third FFL in Louisville. He told me it is perfectly legal for an individual to deal with another individual across state lines and that he has done it many years. He said it he has a friend that deals with the ATF on a regular basis that also informed him of the legality.

I then asked him why do everybody on gun forums' say it's illegal for FTF's between residents of two different states? His reply:"Because people are stupid and think they know the law".