Moved Back Home

Discussion in 'Introductions & Greetings' started by DOA33, Sep 21, 2017.

1. DOA33

DOA33 New Member

Hi,

I've moved back to my home state KY after living in OH for the last 18 years. Been a active member on another gun right's forum in OH and been carrying for 10 years now. I been enjoying the openness of OCing around town without getting the stare. Do have a few questions, first car carry. Can you carry your firearm anyway you want? I was reading no firearms are allowed in the center armrest, is that right? Also I see my OH license is still good till the expiration date which is in March of the coming year. Would I need to take a class before applying for a KY license and is it true that Ky license covers weapons not just firearms? Thanks!

2. Iron369

Iron369 Active Member

Welcome home and to the forum. You are permitted to carry on your center console. You cannot carry it any way you want though. Meaning you can't lay it in the seat and cover it with a jacket or other means of concealing it. If you meant loaded, then yes. You can have it in the console or on the seat/dash, or in any other factory installed compartment loaded.
    This is based on what I have gathered. Your Ohio concealed carry license is not valid if you are a Kentucky resident. You are required to obtain a Ky concealed carry weapons permit. You should have already tried to update your change of address with the issuing sheriffs office and they should have already told you this. You won't be permitted a Ky address of residency and use an Ohio cow permit. I could be wrong though. The sheriff would best be suited for that question.
    We have a concealed carry weapons permit. Weapons meaning more than just firearms. We don't have permit for only guns.
    I hope this helps and I hope you stick around here for a while.

3. DOA33

DOA33 New Member

Thanks for the welcome. In OH ORC 2923.125 F5 it states:
    The concealed handgun license of a licensee who is no longer a resident of this state or no longer employed in this state, as applicable, is valid until the date of expiration on the license, and the licensee is prohibited from renewing the concealed handgun license.

So I thought that I'm good till my expiration date but your saying KY will not allow it. This can be madding trying to follow all the laws on carrying.

Edit: I think I found the answer on KSP website:
    Can I transfer my concealed weapons license or training certificate from another state to Kentucky?

There is no statutory authority for another state's license to carry a concealed weapon to be transferred to Kentucky. Individuals that wish to apply for a license to carry a concealed deadly weapon in Kentucky must meet the requirements set forth in KRS 237.110, including the residency and training requirements. Currently, no waiver of the training requirement is authorized based upon prior completion of out of state training approved for obtaining a license in another jurisdiction. The only training waivers authorized by statute are for the following individuals listed in KRS 237.110(6): police, retired police, or army.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017
  4. mlh40324

mlh40324 Active Member

Welcome back home!

5. plumber_bob

plumber_bob Well-Known Member

6. Murgatroy

Murgatroy Member

Take the class. It eats up a day, covers what you already know, but it includes two hours of range time. I have done this for two states now, and honestly, for peace of mind, I would do it for all states just to know the nuances in the law.

Without a permit you can carry open in Kentucky for most places, schools, court houses and federal buildings excluded. It is a trespassing charge if you don't leave when asked. No 'rule of law' like Tennessee. You can carry in any factory compartment in your car. Glove box and Center Console implied. Not door pocket or between the seats. This does not mean on the passenger seat open. Do not carry where you keep your registration. That would be awkward to reach for at an impromptu roadside disco.

In Kentucky you can carry blackjacks, knives, billy clubs and guns with your CCDW. That mean Concealed Carry Deadly Weapons Permit. I come from Tennessee where a HCP mean Handgun Carry Permit. Huge difference. In Tennessee without a permit (changed recently) no permit, no gun. Period. On person, in car. No open carry, no loaded weapon in car, etc...

Kentucky is ranked No. 5 in States Rights in regards to Firearms for a reason. It takes the questions out of it to have a CCDW and many places offer a quick class and simple solution. With the certificate it takes less than two weeks to be done with it.

The biggest upside is to skip the NICS. You flash that fancy piece of plastic and you walk out minutes later. As someone who has often gotten a erroneous delay, that in itself is priceless.

mlh40324 and plumber_bob like this.
  7. Murgatroy

Murgatroy Member

Oh, and you can have magazines with more than thirty rounds here, as in Glock Fun Sticks. Even Glock Beta Mags. I have one, it is awesome.

Rebel Panda, mlh40324 and plumber_bob like this.
  8. Rebel Panda

Rebel Panda Well-Known Member

9. DOA33

DOA33 New Member

Thanks everyone! Does this site have a page set up for people looking to take the class to get their CCDW?

10. Murgatroy

Murgatroy Member

What part of the state are you in? That would help. I did mine at Point Blank in the `Ville. It was an alright class, the instructor made it fun, even if she wasn't as versed in firearms as an instructor should be. It is six hours of classroom time and two hours (I tested out in the first five minutes) of range time. I did spend the rest of the two hours helping a newer shooter increase their skills. I might have been a ringer. Ask me about my daughter's shooting trophies... ;)

plumber_bob likes this.
  11. DOA33

DOA33 New Member

Frankfort area.

12. Murgatroy

Murgatroy Member

I know there is a member in Taylorsville that offers classes, If you come to Shooter's Roost, I think they have someone as well. I spend more time in the `Ville than I do in Shelbyville, which is home, so I am more familiar with things that are 45 minutes West of me, much as Shelbyville is 45 minutes west of you.

13. Murgatroy

Murgatroy Member

I am certain that Buds in Lexington offers something, they are easily the largest in the area, if not nationally renowned. I almost feel bad for refusing to do business with them after three delays, seeing as how I started getting them locally recently. Two years ago they were the only retailer I got delayed at. That was honestly the biggest driving factor in my decision to seek my CCDW. It is frustrating to make a spur of the moment decision against your better judgement, then come pick it up a few days later.

14. Ryger

Ryger New Member

Welcome aboard!

15. dannyr3_8

dannyr3_8 Well-Known Member