Tactical robbers.

Discussion in 'Carry Issues & Personal Protection' started by plumber_bob, Jun 23, 2018.

1. plumber_bob

plumber_bob Well-Known Member

Never let yer gun outta yer reach.

http://www.wdrb.com/story/38488951/...oke-into-jeffersonville-home-robbed-residents

"""JEFFERSONVILLE, Ind. (WDRB) -- Police in Jeffersonville say two men in tactical gear broke into a home and tied up the residents inside before robbing them early Monday morning.

Now, officers are asking for the public's help to find the perpetrators.

Jeffersonville Police say the two men are still on the run, and officers have released new pictures, hoping to track them down. Detectives say the men in the surveillance video broke into a home in the 900 block of East 10th Street, near Dutch Lane, at about 5:50 a.m. Monday.

The suspects used zip-ties to restrain the people inside. Police say they seized cash and a handgun before taking off. Officers are looking for a black or dark-colored car.

Jeffersonville Police say the men had ballistic vests, a helmet, handguns and a tactical shotgun.

"These people were prepared to do violence, obviously, by the fact that they came in heavily armed, putting the people in that home in fear for their lives," said Jeffersonville Police Det. Todd Hollis.

One of the victims who did not want to give his name remembers everything in vivid detail five days later.

“They had like bullet-proof vests on, like khaki pants, helmets like a swat team, and one was carrying a shotgun the other had a pistol,” the man said.

The suspects broke into a side door of the 10th Street home with surveillance cameras rolling.

“It’s like a nine-pane window," the man said. "They broke into the corner and unlocked the door and walked right in.”

The victim is still haunted by the image of waking up and seeing one of the robbers holding a gun.

“Somebody was upstairs and woke me up, and so I got to the stairs, and he was already at the top with a gun pointed on me, told me it was the sheriff’s department, told me to get on the ground,” the man said."""

dannyr3_8 likes this.
  2. bearleft

bearleft New Member

That's why no knock warrants are a BAD idea, if your in MY house unannounced I'll have no remorse.

dannyr3_8, HPD855 and plumber_bob like this.
  3. dannyr3_8

dannyr3_8 Well-Known Member

4. guncrank1

guncrank1 Well-Known Member

No knocks could get real nosy in certain houses.

5. Got-R-Did

Got-R-Did Well-Known Member

I am confused as to how this report of Criminals breaking into a home while impersonating L.E. morphed into a dialogue against legitimate warrants executed by genuine Officers.
    Given my background/experience, I am not an advocate of the “no-knock” approach of entering.
    Please enlighten me, Gentleman.
    Got-R-Did.

6. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

There are some law enforcement departments that use no-knock entries. There are some criminals that know this, and try to capitalize on it for entries. BOTH can be fatal. Since 9/11 there ahas been a huge increase in local PDs using no-knocks with SWAT as their primary form of searching. The legal standards for no-knock and quick-knock raids are different, but to someone whose house is being raided, they can seem pretty similar. Here's two (of the many) instances where it went wrong:

A SWAT team raiding a home in Habersham County, Georgia at around 3 am, May 29th, 2014, threw a stun grenade into the crib of a 19-month-old toddler, Bounkham Phonesavanh, critically injuring him. Read about it here: https://abcnews.go.com/US/family-toddler-injured-swat-grenade-faces-1m-medical/story?id=27671521

Detroit police killed seven year old Aiyana Stanley-Jones during a no-knock raid in 2010. Stanley-Jones was sleeping on the couch when a police officer's bullet hit her skull. (The raid was being taped for an A&E Cops-style reality show called The First 48.) The officer who killed Stanley-Jones was put on trial in October 2014, but the most serious charges against him were dismissed, and the jury ended up deadlocked on whether to convict him for reckless use of a firearm — causing the judge to declare a mistrial. Read about it here:

https://www.motherjones.com/politics/2010/09/aiyana-stanley-jones-detroit/

Caveman Jim and Got-R-Did like this.
  7. Got-R-Did

Excellent references, Sir, and I am well aware of past tragedies caused by the practice. Our Dept stopped doing them loooong ago for those very reasons.
    I was just confused by some of the comments relating directly to this incident locally.
    Got-R-Did.

8. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

I fully support the police in doing their thankless job. I know that I do NOT have the patience to do what they do every day. I just hate the over-militarization (I say that having spent 30 years on active duty) of some departments. Had to do "no-knocks" myself, in Iraq and Afghanistan, and know the risks. In America we rely on our Constitution to define and protect our rights. Seems that a few localities are more concerned with appearances than effectively serving their citizens.

Caveman Jim and Got-R-Did like this.
  9. Got-R-Did

Agreed.
    For all their militarization, Miami won’t send any of their “troops” into anything.
    Appreciate your input.
    Got-R-Did.

Old Guy likes this.