Used My Firearm Dog Attack

Discussion in 'Carry Issues & Personal Protection' started by DOA33, Nov 30, 2017.

1. DOA33

DOA33 New Member

Used my gun for the first time in defense against a dog. Before going ahead I should say I fired a warning shot and ended the fight. Now, to what happened. I own a Boxer named Bruno, every morning we'll go out for a walk around the farm checking on the cows and for him to use the bathroom. This morning I had left over chicken to give him, we go out and I dumped the food in the yard. While I was doing that our neighbor's dog named Sugar came over. I believe he's a lab very fat. Sugar gobbles the chicken before I could stop him. When I told him to stop and I took a step, he backs away but then tries to go around me before I could turn around to keep a eye on him, Bruno growled and that's all it took. Both started biting and trying to topple each other. I was too slow to move and Sugar lunged at me and got my knee. I knew not to pull but to shove, so I kneed him hard in his open mouth. Didn't break the skin but left two nasty bumps. I grabbed a shovel that was laying there and smacked Sugar, he backed off giving Bruno the upper hand. Had to smack Bruno since he was ripping the skin off of Sugar, that gave Sugar time to get back on top. At this point I reached for my firearm and I didn't want to shot either dog since neither was after me, so I aimed at the back of the farm and fired one round. Bruno backed behind me looking and Sugar ran back to his house. I ended up with a two bumps on the knee and Bruno after cleaning all the blood off just had a small gash above his right eye. I'm debating to go to the neighbor and let them know what happened or let it go since me or my dog has series injuries. I did take pictures.

mlh40324, Got-R-Did and dannyr3_8 like this.
  2. Old Guy

Old Guy Active Member

Let them know.... next time it could be a child.

mlh40324, Got-R-Did and dannyr3_8 like this.
  3. dannyr3_8

dannyr3_8 Well-Known Member

glad it turned out as well as it did sounds like it could have went another way

mlh40324 and Got-R-Did like this.
  4. Got-R-Did

Got-R-Did Well-Known Member

I absolutely would confer with your neighbor. Approach them with tact and diplomacy, and give them the chance to address their dog's "roaming" and aggression.
    Now, if they choose to be hostile or obstinate over the issue, you have other options.
    I'm sure they won't like the propect of bailing their dog out of the Shelter if you have Animal Control look into the matter.
    Speedy recovery to you both.
    Got-R-Did.

dannyr3_8 and mlh40324 like this.
  5. Rollerball

Rollerball Member

Sounds like the neighbor's dog was on YOUR land. It is the neighbor's responsibility to keep Sugar on their own property. I'm sure you were OK with their dog roaming your farm before, since there hadn't been an issue....but now....different story.

Sounds like you made the right call on things. Neighbor needs to understand you would have been justified in killing their dog, if necessary....but you DIDN'T. Hopefully, all can be resolved amicably.

Glad everyone came out basically OK!

dannyr3_8 and Got-R-Did like this.